20080910

grey, the color of time

as some of you know, yesterday was my birthday. another year older, another year (ahem) wiser. i don't know about all that, but i do know that my grey hair keeps multiplying like rabbits. my wife tells me that grey is sexy on a man, so i guess i'll take it. i look in the mirror each day and see my wrinkles getting deeper, my hair getting grey, and while some may view this as a malady and spend hundreds upon thousands of dollars each year trying to hide them, i wear them with a sense of pride and thankfulness. every birthday tells me two things: 1) i didn't die last year, and 2) God still has a purpose for me here on earth. one day i will stop having birthdays. but for the time being, i intend on being all that God would have me to be, and to try not to get in the way of His plan for my life too much.

i seriously wonder about these people that curse getting older. the way i see it, they have an improper view of life. the Bible tells us that our days are numbered, and that life is a gift from God, however good or bad we may view it. i think the negative feelings come in when we start looking back on our lives with regret for our past mistakes and failings. it is then that birthdays become something to lament rather than celebrate. my goal in life is to hopefully have to never look back on my life with regret of things that i could or should have done. if we live with the goal of hearing, "well done my good and faithful servant", then we will never look back with regret.

all i know is that i am blessed beyond measure. God sees fit to allow me to wake up each day and serve Him, no matter how much i may fail at it. so the way i see it, is, to quote a friend, "everyday above ground is a good day." so bring on the birthdays. bring on the top of that hill i'll be going over in a few short years. and bring on life. and for those of you who don't like getting older, i'll take those years you don't want! that gives me plenty more time with my wonderful family and to serve my God! thank You, Lord, for 34 years!

No comments: